“We cannot protect what we have unless we have a treaty, in my view. It’s the best protection we have against the erosion of our rights.”
Xwelixweltel (Grand Chief Steven Point)
As of October 2018, SXTA is in Stage 5 of treaty negotiations. Our communities are one step closer to a vote on our groundbreaking Treaty.
Our Treaty Principles:
- We will not extinguish our Aboriginal rights and title to any part of S’ólh Téméxw
- We maintain our existing Status rights to medical and other benefits
- We will increase our lands by over 1,000 percent
- We will get $150 million as a lump sum
- We will also get additional funds to buy more land
- We will be self-governing.
- AND MORE!
Planned Timeline: Constitution vote in Fall 2019 and Treaty vote in Fall 2020.