WHAT ARE WE VOTING ON? Shxwelméxwelh means the Stó:lō way and is our word for constitution. Our Constitution describes who we are, what is important to us, and how our teachings (s’í:wes) will inform our own government.
“The Constitution itself is not a treaty. It is an important SXTA-based initiative that factors into our readiness to take over governing ourselves. It will support our ability to develop our own government and law-making powers within the treaty process.”
Siyémches Chief Terry Horne of Yeqwyeqwí:ws/ Yakweakwioose
WHY VOTE? To determine if the six communities of the Stó:lō Xwexwílmexw Treaty Association (SXTA) approve the Shxwelméxwelh (Constitution) of the Stó:lō Xwexwílmexw.
WHO CAN VOTE? Members who are 18 years of age as of November 14, 2020 of Áthelets/Aitchelitz, Leq’á:mel/Lakahahmen, Sq’ewá:lxw/Skawahlook, Sq’ewqéyl/Skowkale, Ch’iyáqtel/Tzeachten, and Yeqwyeqwí:ws/Yakweakwioose.
WHERE AND WHEN DO WE VOTE?
- On-line Voting opens on November 4 (best option due to COVID!). Go to www.onefeather.ca/elections and pick your community to register. If you don’t have your personal Registry number that came via mail from Fred Schiffner, Chief Ratification Officer, please contact him as per the info below.
- Mail-in Ballots were mailed out the first week of October, and must be received by the electoral officer by 6pm on November 14. (Questions: Contact Fred Schiffner, Chief Ratification Officer at 1-800-813-2173 or cell: 604 786 2512, email firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Community voting stations will be open on Nov. 13 and 14, 10 am to 6pm at:
- Stó:lō Nation Government House (for all members of the six First Nations): Building 8b-7201 Vedder Road, Chilliwack, BC V2R 4G5
- Leq’á:mel (Lakahamen): 43101 Leq’á:mel Way, Deroche, B.C. V0M 1G0
- Ch’iyáqtel (Tzeachten): 6325 Matheson Road, Chilliwack , B.C. V2R 4S8
Voters who are members of the Leq’á:mel (Lakahahmen) and Ch’iyáqtel (Tzeachten) First Nations may vote in person at their home community polling station, or at Stó:lō Nation Government House. Voters who are members of Áthelets (Aitchelitz), Sq’ewá:lxw (Skawahlook), Sq’ewqéyl (Skowkale) and Yeqwyeqwí:ws (Yakweakwioose) may vote in person at Stó:lō Nation Government House.
The Revised Constitution
Click on the above image to review the Revised Constitution.
The vote is being held in order to determine if the Voters of the six communities of the Stó:lō Xwexwílmexw Treaty Association (SXTA) approve the Constitution (Shxwelméxwelh) of the Stó:lō Xwexwílmexw.
Members of the Áthelets (Aitchelitz), Ch’iyáqtel (Tzeachten), Leq’á:mel (Lakahahmen), Sq’ewá:lxw (Skawahlook), Sq’ewqéyl (Skowkale), Yeqwyeqwí:ws (Yakweakwioose) eighteen (18) years of age or over as of November 14 are eligible to vote, PROVIDED THAT THEIR NAME IS LISTED ON THE VOTERS’ LIST. All voters for whom we have an address will be mailed a mail-in ballot, and details concerning how to vote electronically.
Copies of each community’s Voters list shall be posted at that community only:
- Ch’iyáqtel (Tzeachten): 6325 Matheson Road Chilliwack, BC V2R 4S8.
- Leq’á:mel First Nation: 43101 Leq’a:mel Way, Deroche, BC, V0M 1G0
- Skowkale Bulletin Board, Chilliwack River Road
- Aitchelitz Bulletin Board, Aitchelitz Road
- Yeqwyeqwí:ws Bulletin Board, Chilliwack River Road
- Skawahlook First Nation: 58611-A Lougheed Hwy, Agassiz, BC, V0M 1AZ